Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Kitchen Island Project

I'm currently working on my kitchen island.  You can see my before picture above, that the butcher block top doesn't look right with the base cabinets.  So I have finally started on this kitchen island project.  It's taking me longer to finish because of problems with finding the right supplies or tools that I need.  But I wanted to show you what I've done so far so you don't think I'm not doing anything around here.

Okay, most people empty out all of their cupboards, me, I emptied out one side and left the rest.  A little lazy, but I can work around it.

I sanded the cabinet doors and island then used a deglosser on them.  Next, I used a wood grain filler on them to fill in the oak grain.  I wasn't sure if the wood grain would bother me, so I decided to experiment with the island before painting the rest of my cabinets using a wood grain filler.  It's an extra step, but it might be worth it in the end.

I used Timbermate wood grain filler.  First I thinned it a little with water and used a putty knife or rag to apply it into the woodgrain and let it dry.  Then I sanded the heck out of it.  It was hard to get it out of the grooves.  I think next time around I won't put it into the grooves, but just do the flat parts.

(After I sanded, below)

Now on the island we used poplar 1" x 4"boards for the top and sides and 1" x 8" for the bottom.  I also replaced the backboard.

Here it is with some primer.  I still have more to come.  I have a coat of primer on the cabinet doors and one coat of paint.  I'll show you more when I'm finished, hopefully sooner than later!